You have to give it to us parents, we have learned efficiency like it’s our job. I mean, it kind of is our job. We have the same amount of hours in the day as everyone else yet we have to keep these tiny humans fed, clothed, clean, educated, entertained, and alive while they fight us every step of the way. So asking us to fit anything extra in there sends up all kinds of alarms and we put up our wall of defense in an effort to protect ourselves from further exhaustion.
Read a book? Are you insane?
Watch a webinar? Can I watch it in my sleep?
The cruel reality, however, is that if we don’t find ways to fit learning new things in, our circumstances will never change. We need more time to learn but we need to learn in order to have more free time. It’s quite the conundrum. If you’re struggling to find time to fit in listening to an audiobook or a podcast, here are 5 spare times you can use to learn.
- In The Car. Chances you are spend some amount of time in the car on a regular basis. If you’re not already, use this time to listen to an audiobook or a podcast.
- While you’re in the shower. You can get a waterproof speaker that you can actually listen to in the shower. Save the solo-concerts for when you’re rich.
- While cooking and washing dishes. We usually spend about an hour to 2 hours a day cooking and cleaning up (we typically cook 2 or 3 meals a day). Instead of listening to your kids whine about how they don’t want to eat what you’re cooking, listen to something that will help you better your life!
- While exercising. If you’re not exercising, well, just being honest here–you need to start. And if you are, I’m sure you have a great playlist of songs to get you pumped up. Maybe just listen to one pump song and then switch to something more educational. Some of my best ideas have come to me while working up a sweat and listening to podcasts. Maybe it’s the extra blood and hormones?
- While you work. I’m not implying that you should break any workplace rules or anything like that. I’m just saying–if you are able to listen to the radio or some other form of “background noise” while you’re at work, maybe you could just switch it to a book or a podcast.
Maybe you can only feasibly use one of these options, but my advice would be to use as many as you can. If you yearn to change your circumstances, to change your family’s lives, start by making small changes like this. Shift from entertaining your brain to feeding it the knowledge it craves. Do not be afraid! You were made for this.
Share this Post